Internal Medicine (Large Animal)
Intensive care and diagnostic services are provided by our specialists who have undergone years of post DVM training in internal medicine and comprise the only team of equine or large animal veterinarians in the state to be certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
- Critical Care: We offer 24-hour care for neonates and adults of all large animal species, including horses, camelids, cattle, pot-bellied pigs and small ruminants. Certified veterinary technicians are present 24 hrs a day supervised by our veterinarians to provide the very best in care. Support includes oxygen therapy, mechanical ventilation, Anderson and camelid slings, plasma and whole blood transfusions, IV fluid therapy, total parenteral nutrition and a full range of diagnostics. CT scans are available for foals, small camelids and other animals under 400 pounds body weight.
- Wellness examinations for older horses: Routine in-depth health evaluations for dental abnormalities, Cushings and Metabolic Disease, skin disorders, laminitis, nutrition consults.
- Colic and weight loss: Evaluations may include endoscopy of the stomach for ulcers, rectal examination and biopsy, abdominal ultrasound, abdominocentesis, malabsorption tests, and liver or kidney biopsy.
- Cardiac evaluation: Heart murmurs, exercise intolerance or arrhythmias can be evaluated by cardiologists using Holter monitors, ECG and cardiac ultrasound or treadmill stress testing.
- Respiratory Diseases: Infectious and allergic diseases are evaluated using endoscopy, tracheal or bronchoalveolar lavages, bacterial culture, virus isolation, and/or skin testing. Treadmill evaluation combined with endoscopy is used for horses with upper airway abnormalities. Nebulization and aeromask therapies are available.
- Neurologic Diseases: full evaluation of horses with wobblers, headshaking and other neurological conditions. Diagnostics include spinal taps, EPM testing, radiography, myelograms, and muscle biopsy.
- Tying-up and other muscle diseases: Full examination including exercise testing and muscle biopsy evaluation by our laboratory.
- Ophthalmology: Two board certified ophthalmologists provide expert diagnostic evaluation, treatment and surgery for corneal ulcers, trauma uveitis, cataracts etc.
- Other board certified specialists are available for consultation in the fields of behavior, clinical pathology, dentistry, dermatology, integrative medicine, nutrition, oncology, ophthalmology, pathology, radiology, reproduction surgery, and ultrasound.
Appointments are longer than are typical in private practice since a complete workup can usually be performed in one day. Animals can be dropped off the night before and trailer parking is available.
Feel free to call ahead to ask about estimates or specific procedures.
- Our Providers
- Specialties & Services
- Animal Behavior Counseling and Training Service
- Blood Donor Program
- Clinical Pathology
- Complementary / Alternative Medicine
- Dentistry & Oral Surgery Service
- Emergency & Critical Care
- Equine Sports Medicine
- Intensive Care Unit
- Internal Medicine (Small Animal)
- Internal Medicine (Large Animal)
- Medical Imaging
- Oncology & Radiation Therapy
- Primary Care
- Social Work Services
- Surgery (Small Animal)
- Surgery (Large Animal)
- Theriogenology (Small Animal)
- Theriogenology (Large Animal)
- Urgent Care
- West Metro Equine Practice
- My VMC Story